on April 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm
Posted In: Weird Stuff
It’s Wikipedia, so who knows, but I still liked some of this year’s pranks:
- Chicago Public Radio reported that Major League Baseball has retroactively awarded the 1945 World Series title to the Chicago Cubs, due to an alleged ineligible player appearing on the roster of the Detroit Tigers.
- Electronic Gaming Monthly claimed that Bungie was working on a Lego version of the Halo video game franchise.
- World of Warcraft – Blizzard announced the online MMORPG is coming to consoles with World of Warcraft: Molten Core. They also announced a new playable character class called Bards. This character will be playable via a control scheme similar to Guitar Hero.
- Linux Journal was renamed “BeOS Journal”.
- Microsoft Research Reclaims Value of Pi: In 2008, an executive with the Microsoft Institute for Advanced Technology in Governments posted on his personal blog an updated spoof of the 1998 Aprils Fool hoax claiming Alabama’s state legislature had rounded the value of pi to the “Biblical value of 3.” The 2008 hoax claimed that Microsoft Research had determined the true-up value of pi to be a definitive 3.141999, or as expressed in company literature, “Three easy payments of 1.047333.”
- Mugglenet updated their site saying they had recieved confirmation from J.K. Rowling that Harry Potter and Hermione Granger were actually in love.
- Nestlé, is changing the name of their Butterfinger candy bar to “The Finger”. Complete with video overview.
- Google Australia announced gDay, a feature which can access web pages before they are created.
- Google also introduced a new feature called “Gmail Custom Time.”
- Google Calendar featured an “I’m Feeling Lucky” button when a user created an event by clicking on the calendar; when a user attempted to create an event and chose “I’m feeling lucky” an event labelled “Date with [a person]” (Eric Cartman, Angelina Jolie, George W. Bush, Anna Kournikova, Tom Cruise, Lois Griffin, Johnny Depp, Matt Damon, Paris Hilton) was created on their calendar.
- Google Calendar also makes an offer for a new “Google Wake Up Kit” which helps to wake up users with progressively more annoying and intrusive alerts.
- Google, along with Sir Richard Branson announced ‘Project Virgle’, with the goal of creating a permanent human settlement on Mars.
- Google introduces a scratch-and-sniff feature for certain books on Google books,
- Google introduces a ‘New Airplane’ feature in Google Docs – selecting File > New Airplane opens a new Google Document with the outline of a paper airplane.
Lots more here.