The weather was horrid, but we still got to go out in search of free candy. I bought 4 big bags of candy to give out and all were gone by the end of the night (we get a lot of kids from surrounding neighborhoods and none of the kids around here will be denied their candy, snow or not). In the end, my kids got way more candy than they could ever eat (or even like) so I let them keep their favorites and trade the rest for a couple of toys. Work will get the candy, so everybody wins!
I only got 2 pumpkins from my garden this year. Well, I think they are pumpkins. They kind of look like pumpkins but they didn’t change colors like the pumpkins I’m used to. And also 2 very tiny squash. There were a few squash plants that didn’t produce at all, but to make up for it there were several rows of dried beans I don’t remember buying.
So, on to planning next year. Under consideration:
- Beets (never tried those before)
- Peppers (2 of my 3 plants this year did well; one did nothing)
- Carrots (these did well this year)
- Pumpkin (maybe if I just plant a couple of them, it will work)
- Green beans (always get a lot of beans)
- Horseradish (I’ll pull my current one up the spring for maror)
- Snow peas (maybe the birds will leave these alone – they always kill my snap peas)
- Spinach (I’ll plant a bit at a time instead of all at once like I did this year – a mistake)
- Eggplant (Rory liked these a lot)
- Raspberries (as long as I can keep the birds from them, too)
That should be enough for my small yard.
Why You Should Never, Ever, Ever Get A Tattoo (but Having a Baby is Fine)
Or do both. Or neither. Whatever.
Some of you were avoiding the internet today, and I don't blame you. April fools is always a pretty weird time on the web. But if you want to see some of the better jokes, BuzzFeed has a good collection here: The Definitive Guide To Every April Fools’ Day Prank On The Internet This Year
I got to say, I'm liking the Pokémon on Google maps prank. I nearly found them all!
If you want to see pretty much everything related to April fools on the web, look here: April Fools' Day On The Web : 2014. There's even one I submitted. Can you figure out which one?